The aim of the ESHS is to promote the history of science, technology and medicine throughout Europe. Members of the ESHS are located throughout the world.
The purpose of the society shall be to promote European cooperation in the field of the History of Science understood in the broadest sense. In particular, the society shall, in the European context, aim at:
- Providing a high-level interdisciplinary European forum for research in the History of Science;
- Promoting cooperation between its members;
- Promoting the preservation of and access to scientific heritage;
- Promoting, assisting, and advising on the teaching of the History of Science;
- Advancing the education of the general public in the historical, cultural, and social aspects of science.